Natural zinc oxide Sunscreen
I’ve always used a chemical sunscreen because I never liked the look of white paste over my skin from a physical sunscreen, like zinc oxide cream. However, there has been a lot of discussions lately how some of the ingredients used in chemical sunscreens may not be so good for our health, especially long-term. There has also been improvements in all-natural sunscreens with invisible, micronized zinc oxide.
What’s the Difference Between a Chemical Sunscreen vs Physical Sunscreen – How Do They Work?
A chemical sunscreen typically contains three or more chemicals such as octinoxate, homosalate, octocrylene and/or benzophenone (currently, there are 17 FDA-approved chemicals) and is absorbed into the skin where the chemicals absorb and filter ultraviolet (UV) rays. A physical mineral sunscreen or sunblock will contain zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide and simply acts as a barrier or shade-shield by reflecting UV rays. Physical sunscreens “sit” on surface of the skin and are not absorbed.
Chemical Sunscreen Cons
- Of the 17 FDA-approved chemicals used in sunscreens, 15 are considered endocrine disruptors – interfere with function of hormones.
- They need to be applied 20 minutes before sun exposure for absorbtion by the skin in order to work.
- The chemicals soak into your bloodstream – These chemicals have been detected in blood, urine, and breast milk 2 days after a single application (Krause et. al. 2012).
- The absorption can generate DNA-damaging chemicals – free radicals which may lead to cancer.
- Can cause allergic skin reactions and irritation to those with sensitive skin.
Chemical Sunscreen Pros: Many provide broad spectrum, UVA/UVB protection. Some waterproof/sweatproof forumulas can provide protection for up to 80 minutes without reapplying, however some lose 90% of UV-blocking effectiveness only after 1 hour and need to be reapplied more often. Chemical sunscreens are relatively inexpensive, especially generic brands.
You might also like
Zinc Oxide Powder - La Lune Naturals - Non Nano and Uncoated, Pure Cosmetic Grade - 10 FREE Recipes and Scoop - Perfect Zinc Oxide for Sunscreen, Lips, Sunblock, Acne, Eczema - Safe for babies, kids, faces - Great for Homemade Sunscreen & Deodorant
Beauty (La Lune Naturals)