Oxidation number for fluorine
The determination of the oxidation number (or oxidation state) of chemical compounds can be made by following a few simple rules.
- The oxidation numbers of an atom or the atoms in a neutral molecule must add up to zero.
- If an atom or molecule is ionic its oxidation number must add up to its overall charge.
- Alkali metal atoms (Group I) have an oxidation number equal to +1 within compounds. Alkali earth atoms (Group II) have an oxidation number of +2 within compounds.
- Fluorine always has a -1 oxidation number within compounds.
- All halogens (besides fluorine) have a -1 oxidation number in compounds, except when with oxygen or other halogens where their oxidation numbers can be positive.
- Hydrogen is always assigned a +1 oxidation number in compounds, except in metal hydrides (e.g. LiH) where the previous rules apply. In the case of LiH lithium is assigned a +2 charge (rule C) leaving hydrogen to neutralize the compound with a -2 charge.
- Oxygen is assigned an oxidation number of -2 in compounds, with two exceptions...
|Fluorine's oxidation number always takes precedence.|
|Oxygen oxygen bonds follow previous rules, meaning other assignments take place first leaving oxygen to neutralize the charge.|
|2(a)||The oxygen has an oxidation number of -1 in peroxide compounds|
Examples: (The blue colours are a positive oxidation state, the red colours are a negative oxidation state, relevant to the atoms underneath them.)
|+1 -2||+1 -1||+1||+1||+6|
You might also like
Natural Sunscreen | Safe for Children of All Ages | 100% Money Back Guaranteed Protection for Your Skin | Contains Simply Eight Edible-Grade Organic Ingredients | Fragrance-Free | Non-Toxic | Biodegradable | Easy to Apply & Spread | Made in the USA
Beauty (Del Mar Beach Supply Co)
Zinc Oxide Powder - La Lune Naturals - Non Nano and Uncoated, Pure Cosmetic Grade - 10 FREE Recipes and Scoop - Perfect Zinc Oxide for Sunscreen, Lips, Sunblock, Acne, Eczema - Safe for babies, kids, faces - Great for Homemade Sunscreen & Deodorant
Beauty (La Lune Naturals)