Oxidation states of zinc
In the chemistry of battery, you have learned that oxidation is the loss of electron. A loss of one electron raises the oxidation state by one. We now have another definition for oxidatin and reduction.
- What is the oxidation state of Mo in MoO42-?
Note that (+6) + 4*(-2) = -2, the charge of the ion MoO42-. An oxidation state is a signed number, in this case +6.
- What is the oxidation state of S in SO32-?
Even though S is in group VIA: O, S, Se, Te, Bi, the sulfur in sulfite ions has an oxidation number +4.
- What is the oxidation state of As in AsO43-?
This is the normal oxidation state of group VA: N, P, As, Sb, Bi.
- What is the oxidation state of Br in BrO3-?
Br has many oxidation states, e.g. +7 in BrO4-.
- What is the oxidation state of As in As2S3?
The oxidation for S is -2, since it is in the group VIA: O, S, Se, Te, Po. Super! S being in the same group as O, has an oxidation state of -2.
- What is the oxidation state of Cr in Cr(OH)3?
There are three OH- groups in the compound. Chromium hydroxide, Cr(OH)3, is a greenish gelatinous solid.
- In the reaction, P4(s) + 5O2(g) = P4O10(s) What is element reduced?
What are the oxidation states of O in O2 and P4O10? This equation represents the burning of phosphorus in air. P4O10 dissolves in water to form phosphoric acid.